Kırmızı Mercimek Çorbası
Hot or cold, the Turkish Red Lentil Soup is a good one. It is nutritious too. Using vegetable broth/stock turns the recipe to vegetarian and vegan. Enjoy!
Cooking time: approx. 2–25 min
You need: a pot, maybe a handheld blender
- 1 cup (about 200 ml) of red lentils, washed and rinsed
- 7 cups of broth (vegetable, chicken, or beef)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 Tsp of cayenne pepper or 1 Tsp of red pepper
- 1 Tsp of salt
- Chopped mint for serving
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Combine the ingredients in a pot.
- Bring to a boil then lower the fire and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the fire and blend the soup with a utensil or a handheld blender until it is creamy but not completely pureed.
- Serve with a garnish of mint.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice for taste.