Cuisine: generic European
One of many ways to make European style chicken broth.
Yield: @6 cups
Cooking time: +2 hrs
You need: a pot, or a stock pot (which is a tall and narrow pot)
- approx. 1 + 1/2 Kg (+2 Lbs) pieces of chicken (legs, wings, necks, etc.)
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into pieces
- 2 onions, halved of quartered
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 Tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 Tsp dried thyme
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- about 8 cups of cold water
- Place all ingredients in the stock pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the fire until the liquid is simmering.
- Simmer, without the lid on, for 3-4 hours.
- Skim the foam from time to time.
- Take the chicken out of the pot.
- Strain the broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings.
- Put it in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
- You may want to skim fat from surface.
Notes on Chicken Broth – European Style
- Regarding the chicken: remove the meat from the bones and save it for something else.