Tsiladia / Τσιλαδιά
Dried and Salted Cod with Tomatoes and Raisins in the Oven is a delicious, somewhat unusual, quick and easy recipe, combining the saltiness of the dried and salted cod with the sweetness of the raisins and onions in a hearty olive oil sauce. All it really takes is to make a sauce and pour it on top of the cod before you cook it in the oven. 🙂 Enjoy!
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking time: 40min
You will need: a saucepan and an oven pan
Preparation: desalt the dried and coded cod fillets for approx. 24hrs
You need to to desalt your dried and salted cod first. Desalting dried and salted cod is easy but it the operation must start approx. 24 hours before cooking. For instructions on how to desalt dried and salted cod, click here.
- 1 kg (2 Lbs) dried and salted cod fillets
- 3 big onions, cut in round slices
- 1 cup (glass) olive oil
- 1 cup (glass) black raisins. See Notes.
- 1 cup (glass) tomato juice
- 3 tomatoes, cut in round slices
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed but not cut.
- Salt and pepper
- Turn on the oven and let it preheat at 180C / 356F.
- Take a saucepan, put it on the stove, add the olive oil in it and turn the fire on to medium heat. (You don’t want the olive oil to smoke and you’re not going to deep-fry anything, so, medium heat it is.)
- In the heated olive oil, add the onions and the garlic and saute the mixture until it’s caramelized.
- Add the tomato juice to the sauteed onions and garlic.
- Add very little salt, pepper to taste and the black raisins.
- Keep simmering.
While the sauce is simmering,
- Take an oven pan and smear it with just a little olive oil.
- Make a bed of tomato rounds in the pan.
- Arrange the cod fillets on the bed of tomatoes.
- Arrange the bay leaves on top of the cod fillets.
Combine and cook
- Pour the sauce on top of the cod.
- Put the pan in the preheated (180C / 356F) oven.
- Let it cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the olive oil comes to the surface of the sauce.
Boiled & Broiled potatoes are a very good side dish for this cod recipe; but, if for nothing else, perhaps a nice piece of bread is the only thing one might need (to scoop up the juice, and all… ) 🙂
Notes on Dried and Salted Cod with Tomatoes and Raisins in the Oven
- You can also use diced canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones. If you’re using canned tomatoes, there’s a lot of tomato juice in the can, so, you can use the juice-in-the-can as the base for your sauce.
- If, instead of dried and salted cod, you’re using fresh cod then we would suggest to use half the suggested quantity of black raisins (that is 1/2 cup of black raisins). If you’re feeling adventurous you could even substitute the raisins with black currants.