What we mostly know as “Mayonnaise” is that… gooey cream that comes out of a plastic bottle (or… bucket) sold at supermarkets. Well, it’s time to think again. Here’s a recipe for the real deal.
Cooking time: @10min
You need: a bowl and a whisk
- 2-3 yolks of raw eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 Tsp English mustard
- less than 1/2 glass (cup) of olive oil
- Drops of Lemon juice
- Drop of vinegar
- Put the yolks in a bowl and beat them with a whisk until they become very frothy
- Add a pinch of salt,
- add the English mustard
- Mix together with a fork, always turning in the same direction.
- While you do this add the olive oil in, slowly and by small degrees.
- Occasionally drip 2-3 drops of lemon juice.
- When the sauce is smooth and firm (=when the olive oil is absorbed) add a small drop of vinegar.
Notes on Mayonnaise Sauce
- What to do with the egg whites? You may want to turn them to an omelette. Beat them in a bowl, add some diced onion, possibly a little garlic, salt, pepper and whatever else and then… cook it in a little butter or olive oil on a low fire. (That’s all.)