Cuisine: Greek, Italian
Serves: 4 – 6
Cooking time: 45 min
You will need: a skillet or sauce pan
- 1/2 a wine glass (1/4 of a cup) olive oil
- 1 Kg (2 Lbs) x ripe tomatoes diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 Tsp dry oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a flat pan and add the tomatoes, a little salt, pepper, oregano and the garlic.
- Let it simmer in low fire for approx. 45 minutes or until the liquid is gone and the puree is thick.
- Stir, once in a while.
- Remove from heat, put into a serving dish, make a little dent in the middle of the dish and pour a little more of the olive oil in the dent (don’t mix it in!).
Notes on Fresh Tomato Sauce for Pasta or Dip
- Stored in a jar, it will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
- You can freely use it as a tomato sauce on pasta.