Cuisine: Generic South European, North African, Middle Eastern
As you might already know, olive oil and lemon are often combined together either as salad dressing or as cooking ingredients. This recipe is about a salad dressing.
Cooking time: < 5 min
- 1 portion olive oil to ½ portion of lemon juice.
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.
Optional / Variations
- Dash of dried cumin, or ground dried coriander seeds.
- Crushed and chopped fresh basil or fresh mint. (Use about the same portion as the olive oil).
- Squeeze fresh lemons to extract their juice. We enjoy some of the pulp in the dressing, as it is a fresh surprise in occasional mouthfuls. You can strain the juice to remove pulp if you wish.
- Mix olive oil and lemon juice until combined.
- Add spices and the herb of choice (use only one herb to maximize character of the dressing, mix into dressing or generously sprinkle over the plate before the dressing).
- Mix again. Adjust to taste.
- Let stand until ready to drizzle over the salad or pour generously over the vegetables.
Notes on Fresh Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing for Salads
- When mixed with lemon, true olive oil does not separate – it stays like a cloudy mixture. If, after a while, your olive oil & lemon mix separate into two distinctive layers… we have bad news for you: the olive oil you used… is a mixture of olive oil and something else. 🙁