Sardines are generally shunned as a food choice in this “age of plenty”. However, they offer the healthiest of fats, Omega-3s, and Vitamins D, A and B12. Do some research, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Cooking time: 30 min
You will need: an oven pan
- 1 Kg (2 Lbs) fresh sardines
- 1/2 Kg (1 Lb) ripe tomatoes, diced (fresh when in season, or canned from a brand you trust)
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 glass (cup) olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the fish from heads and innards, wash thoroughly and salt it.
- Fire up the oven at 250C/480F.
- Dice the garlic cloves.
- Smear the pan with a little olive oil and arrange the fish in lines.
- Spread the garlic cloves on top of the fish.
- Spread the tomatoes on top of the fish.
- Finally, gently pour the olive oil on top.
- Shake the pan so that the olive oil doesn’t pool in one spot.
- Cook in a hot oven (@250C/480F) for 10 minutes and then reduce to 150C (300F) for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with chopped parsley.
Notes on Sardines in the Oven
- Enjoy! 🙂