A clean, nice vegetarian and vegan recipe for a Summer vegetable stew. Can be served hot, warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Cooking time: approx. 45 min
You need: a pot, a few bowls for the ingredients and perhaps a measuring jug
- 2 potatoes, about 300g or a bit more than 1 Lb.
- 1 eggplant, about 300g or a bit more than 1 Lb.
- 3 peppers, about 300g or a bit more than 1 Lb.
- 2 zucchinis, about 200g or bit under 1 Lb.
- 2 medium onions, about 200g or bit under 1 Lb.
- 200g or 1 cup of crushed or diced tomatoes.
- 2 Tsp of tomato paste.
- 1 Tsp of sugar (optional).
- 1 garlic clove.
- 5 Tbsp or 50ml of extra virgin olive oil.
- 30g, or about 1/3 bunch of fresh parsley.
- 250ml or a scant cup of warm water.
- 1 Tsp dry oregano.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the eggplant, the peppers, the parsley and the zucchini.
- Cut the ends of each eggplant and then cut them in cubes.
- Arrange the eggplants on a platter, sprinkle them with salt and leave them to “bleed” while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the ends of the peppers and then cut them in cubes.
- Cut the ends of the zucchini and then cut them in cubes.
- Chop the parsley.
- Peel and cut the onions in cubes.
- Peel the potatoes, wash them and then cut them in cubes.
- Peel and crush the garlic with the flat side of a knife.
- Pat-dry the eggplants with a paper towel. Now they are ready to use.
- Take a pot, put it on the stove and turn the fire on, high.
- Pour the olive oil in the pot.
- Add the onion.
- Add the garlic.
- Saute them for about 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes.
- Add the peppers.
- Add the zucchini.
- Add the eggplants.
- Stir the pot and add the tomato paste.
- Stir the pot again, and add the diced/crushed tomatoes.
- Add the sugar (optional).
- Add the water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower the fire to medium.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Then, add the oregano, stir, and add the parsley.
- Mix well and turn off the fire.
- Leave it for a bit to settle and serve.
Notes on Vegetable Stew with Potatoes, Eggplants, Zucchini and Peppers
- If you are not vegan, a side of feta cheese or any cheese similar to that is highly recommended.
- This stew can be served hot, warm or at room temperature – depending on how hot the day is, no?
- Some people like to add extra olive oil and lemon juice in their servings; your choice.