Arni me Anitho kai Avgolemono
This is an easy recipe for a Lamb Stew with Dill in Egg and Lemon Sauce. Who said “easy” can’t be “delicious”? Here’s the living proof of it. 🙂
Cooking time: approx. 60 min
You need: a bowl and a casserole or skillet
- 1 Kg (2 Lb) lamb, cut in portions
- 1 bunch of dill, diced
- 4-5 fresh/green onions
- 1/2 glass (cup) of olive oil
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 glass (cup) of hot water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the meat in cold water.
- Salt it.
- Take a casserole, pour in the olive oil, the green onions and the meat.
- Saute all of the above for a few minutes.
- Lower the fire to minimum.
- Add the water.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the lid on.
- Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes. Time depends on the quality of the meat.
- Add the dill and stir.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes. At this stage you prepare the egg and lemon sauce. See below.
- About 15 minutes after you stir in the dill, and after you made the egg and lemon sauce, you turn off the fire.
- Slowly add the egg and lemon sauce in the casserole.
- Give it a stir or two and let it rest.
For the Egg and Lemon Sauce
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the lemon juice, a little water and a little of the lamb broth cooking in the casserole. (That’s all. 🙂
Notes on Lamb Stew with Dill in Egg and Lemon Sauce
- As a side dish you could consider boiled and broiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice or orzo pasta. (Or anything you like, really. 🙂
- Regarding the meat’s cut, lamb shoulder or shanks work well with this stews. Ask the clerk to chop it up to (more-or-less) portions. (You need the bones broken so that the gravy is good.)
- Preparing deep frozen lamb or goat meat has a few tricks. Click here for more.