Simple and extremely delicious, this Veal or Beef Stew in Lemon Juice recipe leads to a yet another one-pot, minimum-cooking-skill Sunday lunch stew or weekday special. Enjoy!
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking time: approx. 90minutes
You need: a pot
- 1 to 1.2 Kg (2-2.5 Lbs) veal for stew.
- 2 onions, diced.
- 2 to 4 cloves of garlic, diced.
- Juice of 2 to 4 lemons.
- 2 Tsp dry oregano.
- 2 Tbsp dry thyme.
- 1/3 cup (glass) extra virgin olive oil.
- Enough hot water to cover the meat in the pot.
- Optional: 1/2 cup (glass) dry white wine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Take a pot, put it on the stove, turn the fire on to high, and pour the olive oil into the pot.
- Add the meat into the pot and saute it. Depending on the size of your pot, you may need to saute it in batches.
- When the meat is almost sauteed, add the onion and the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Optional: add the wine and wait for it to evaporate.
- Add the lemon juice, the oregano, the thyme, the pepper and enough hot water to just cover the meat.
- Lower to fire to medium (or medium-low, even), put the lid on, and simmer for at least 60 to 90 minutes. Check progress from time to time.
- Ass the salt sometime (e.g. 15 to 20 minutes) before the end.
- Turn off the fire and let the stew set for a while.
- (That’s all. 🙂
Notes on Veal or Beef Stew in Lemon Juice
- In terms of which cut of meat works well with a stew: chuck, bottom sirloin flap or a fatty brisket cut will do. Ask the clerk to cut the meat in portion sizes (but NOT bite-size). Include the bone, if possible.
- In terms of side dishes, may we suggest rice (Basmati works well) or some form of potato, e.g. potato puree, French fries or boiled and broiled potatoes.
- In terms of salad, something green will do, like spinach, arugola, etc.