Cooked in a pot, casserole or an iron dutch oven – a quick & easy variation on Osso Buco (which is an Italian traditional classic dish).
Serves 4 – 6
Cooking time: 60 minutes
You will need: a pot, or a casserole or an iron dutch oven
- 3 slices of beef shank, including the marrow bone
- 1 dry onion, medium size, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, large, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, diced
- 1 generous pinch of dry marjoram
- 1 mandarin orange
- 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of red wine
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Add the olive oil in the pot.
- Dice the onion, garlic, parsley – add them in the pot.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper and marjoram.(We will call this mixture “the spices” from now on.)
- Saute the onion, garlic and parsley for a few minutes.
- Take half of the sauteed mixture out of the pot, put it in a bowl.
- Arrange the rest of the mixture in a layer, at the bottom of the pot.
- Place the two beef shanks on top of the mixture.
- Add “the spices” to taste.
- With the rest of the sauteed mixture, form a layer on top of the beef shanks.
- Place the third beef shank on top of the layer.
- Add the red wine in the pot. It should not cover the beef.
- Add the diced mandarin orange.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then lower the fire to medium and simmer for about 60 minutes.
- Turn off the fire, let it sit in the pot for some time (or hours, if you like)
- Simmer again, in low fire, for 30 minutes before you serve.
Some bread to soak up the juice would be… very nice. 🙂
Other than that, rice (preferably brown), potatoes or pasta (Casarecce, Orzo or Papardelle would go very nicely with it).
Notes on the Beef Shank with Red Wine in the Pot
- Half way through cooking, you might want to shift the top beef shank to the bottom of the pot.
- The recipe can be safely scaled by 50%.
- DO NOT USE WATER as a cooking liquid.
- The key ingredient in this recipe is the dry marjoram.
A bit of Science
Marjoram is of the oregano family. According to this source it contains:
- Vitamin A: 6% Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA)
- Calcium: 8% RDA
- Vitamin C: 3.5% RDA
- Iron: 18% RDA