Region: Provence, Côt D’ Azur
The Pissaladière is a savoury tart made with onions, olives, grated cheese and anchovy fillets. (It looks like… pizza, but French style.)
Cooking time: 20 min
You need: a tart baking pan and a frying pan
- 250g (8 oz) shortcrust pastry (click here for the recipe)
- 2 Tbsp olve oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 12 black olives
- 60g anchovy fillets
- 125g (4 oz) grated cheese (Cheddar or Gruyere)
- Preheat the oven to 210C / 420F.
- Prepare the shortcrust pastry
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Roll out the pastry and arrange it on a @30cm / 12in shallow tart baking pan.
- Add the sauted onions and spread them around the pan.
- Place the olives and the anchovies on top of the onions.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top, evenly.
- Bake for @20 min, until the pastry is cooked and the tart looks golden.
Notes on the Pissaladière – French Savoury Tart
- Serve hot.
- Shortcrust recipe, here.