Region: the Central Plateau and Languedoc
There are many variations of this French Potato Hot Pot recipe. (After all it’s just another way to cook potatoes, no? 🙂 )
Cooking time: 25 min
You need: a skillet or frying pan
- 125g (4oz) streaky bacon or speck
- 500g (1 Lb) potatoes, thinly sliced
- 250g Cheddar cheese (or equivalent) coarsely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the bacon or speck in a heavy skillet or frying pan over moderate fire, until the fat rans out.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes, turning constantly, browning them on all sides.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave the mixture of gentle fire for about 15 minutes, until the base is crisp and brown, but don’t let it catch.
- Invert onto a warmed plate and serve.
Notes on the Potato Hot Pot
- Originally, this recipe suggest Tomme cheese, which is particular to the French Alps and Switzerland. The Italians make a similar cheese and they call it Toma.
- In absence of Tomme or Toma, Cheddar or Cheddar-like cheeses will do nicely.