Prasini Tyropita Choris Fylo
This is a good one: instead of using the flour to make filo sheets … you mix it in with the rest of your ingredients and stick the pan in the oven. (How difficult can that be? 🙂 Enjoy!
Serves: approx. 10 portions
Cooking time: approx. 30 min
You need: a grater, a whisker, an oven pan, a large bowl and several smaller bowls
- 1+1/2 cups or 250g (1/2 Lb) wheat flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 1+1/2 cups or 250ml milk
- 35g fresh dill, or 70g dry dill
- 5 green onions, about 80g
- 2 Tsp or 10g baking powder
- 3 zucchinis, about 300g
- 500g feta cheese
- 1/2 cup or 100ml olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the oven on to 200C (390F).
- Cut the ends of the green onions and wash them.
- Wash the dill.
- Wash the zucchinis.
- Chop the dill and put it in a bowl.
- Chop the onions in rings and put them in a bowl.
- Chop off the ends of the zucchinis and shred them into thin ribbons with the help of a grater. Put the shredded zucchinis in a bowl.
- Crumble the feta cheese with your fingers and put it in a bowl.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk them.
- Lay a baking sheet on the bottom of your oven pan.
Take a large bowl and:
- Pour in the eggs.
- Pour in the milk.
- Pour in the olive oil.
- Add the flour.
- Add the baking powder.
- Add the feta cheese.
- Add the onions.
- Add the zucchinis and the dill.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Carefully empty the large bowl into your oven pan, spreading the mixture evenly.
- Put the pan on a lower rack of your oven (close to the bottom) and bake for about 30 minutes.
- When ready, turn off the oven and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
Notes on Green Cheese Pie without Filo
- You can serve it hot or at room temperature, as a main dish, a snack, a starter or a side.
- If you don’t have a baking sheet to cover the bottom of your pan… it’s not the end of the world: smear the pan with some olive oil pour the mixture directly into your pan. The bottom of the mixture should cook to a crust, much like a pizza does.
- Regarding milk and feta cheese: low fat, full fat, cow, sheep or goat milk… the choice is yours.
- Zucchinis are watery, so, before you add them into your mixture make sure you drain the water from the zucchini-bowl.