Krémes Köménymagos Leves
A Hungarian caraway soup with a twist: adding cream makes it a classic winter soup. This is not a “fire and forget” kind of thing – it does require some stirring.
Cooking time: 20-30 min
You need: a skillet, and perhaps a sieve
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 1/3 coup flour
- 1+1/2 Tbsp caraway seeds
- 1+1/2 Tsp salt
- A pinch of ground pepper
- 3/4 Tsp paprika
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Put the butter int the skillet and melt it over low heat.
- Add the flour, the caraway seeds, the salt and the ground pepper.
- Heat until the mixture bubbles and is lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the paprika.
- Then, gradually, add the water, stirring constantly.
- Return the skillet to the fire and bring rapidly to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cover and simmer for 15 min.
- Meanwhile prepare and set aside the Croutons
- Remove the soup from the fire.
- Slightly beat the egg yolks in a bowl.
- In the same bowl, add 3 Tbsp of hot soup and stir vigorously.
- Immediately blend the egg yolk mixture into the hot soup in the skillet .
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for @2-3 min.
- Remove the skillet from the fire.
- At this stage the “gourmet” thing to do is to discard the caraway seeds by pouring the soup through a sieve. Your choice, really. 🙂
- Just before serving, add the heavy cream.
Notes on the Hungarian Creamed Caraway Soup
- Do not overcook or allow the soup to boil.