Cooking time: +60 min
You will need: a roasting pan
This is a Greek summer classic recipe amounting to … throwing cut vegetables in a pan, sticking it in an oven and doing something else while the food is cooking. (Yes, that difficult. 🙂
- 1 Kg (2 Lbs) potatoes
- 4 zucchini, medium size
- 2 eggplants
- 1/2 Kg (1 Lb) tomatoes
- 4 onions, diced
- 3 green peppers
- 1 bunch parsley, diced
- 1 glass (cup) of olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Start the oven at a temperature of @200C / 400F so that it’s hot when it’s time to put the pan in.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in squares.
- Cut in a more-or-less the same size the zucchini, the eggplants, the green peppers and the tomatoes.
- Dice the onions and the parsley.
- Smear with olive oil the bottom of a pan, and put in the potatoes, eggplants, zucchini, and peppers first.
- On top, add the onions, the tomatoes (cut as instructed above), the parsley, the olive oil, the salt and the pepper.
- Mix the ingredients in the pan.
- Put the pan in the oven.
- Do something else for the next 60 to 90 minutes. (Time depends on the make of the oven, e.g. electric, gas, convection, etc.)
- Take it out of the oven, let it sit for a while and serve!
Notes on Vegetables in the Oven
- This is a “better the next day” dish: as with all stews, the more it sits the better it tastes.
- For a South Asian twist: add chilly-flakes and cumin to taste!
- Combines very well with Feta cheese and white wine.