A classic olive spread or tapenade for dipping and nibbling. Can’t go wrong with this one. 🙂
Cooking time: 10 min
You need: a food processor, a mixing bowl and jars for storage
- 1+1/2 cups pitted, brine-cured olives (could be 1 c Black and ½ green)
- 3-4 anchovy filets, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons capers rinsed
- 1+1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped Italian parsley or cilantro
- 3-4 large cloves garlic roasted if desired
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Chop the olives in a food processor until coarse.
- Chop the parsley and add to the processor bowl.
- Finely chop the anchovy filets and add to the processor bowl.
- Crush garlic and add to the processor bowl.
- Blend with olive oil until mixed.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and put in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice to the mixture, stirring until mixed.
- Store in jar(s)
Notes on Olive Tapenade – Spread
- Olives are NOT meant to be eaten straight out of the brine. Always take the salt out before you use them. The way to do this is rather simple: drain the brine, put them in a bowl, add water in it and change the water every 1 hour until the salt level drops down to something you can handle.
- Then, you store the olives in jars of olive oil. The olive oil you’ll use for storage does not have to be first quality extra virgin olive oil.