Cuisine: Israeli / Jewish
Simple, fast and delicious, Siniyeh, namely Ground Lamb or Beef with Onions and Tahini Sauce in the Oven, is a Jewish recipe from Yemen that is been cooked in Israel today. Enjoy!
Cooking time: 45 min
You need: a bowl, a skillet and a small baking pan (see notes)
- 1 Kg (2 Lbs) ground lamb or beef. (Go for lamb!)
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley (fresh)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/4 Tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cup (@270g) of tahini
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Wash your hands very, very well.
- Take a large bowl and add all the ingredients except for the pine nuts and the tahini.
- Use your hands to knead the mixture to a paste.
- Brush the baking pan with olive oil. It shouldn’t take more 1 Tbsp of oil.
- Spread the meat mixture in the pan, evenly.
- On the stove top, turn the fire on to medium high.
- Take the skillet, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil, add the pine nuts and saute for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. When the pine nuts turn to light brown remove the skillet from the fire.
- Empty evenly the contents of the skillet, pine nuts and oil, on top of the meat mixture. o
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until the top turns to brown.
- Take the pan out of the oven and pour the tahini over the mixture, evenly.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, until the top looks nicely browned.
Notes on Ground Lamb or Beef with Onions and Tahini Sauce in the Oven
- Regarding tahini: depending on the brand and/or for how long jar has been sitting on the shelf some tahinis are thick like paste, others liquid like milk and others in various other forms of thickness. You can dilute tahini by putting it in a bowl and slowly adding water while you stir with a fork. You want tahini to be even and creamy, without lumps.
- Regarding the dimensions of the baking pan: a round one @25 cm / 10 inch in diameter or a rectangular one @23×23 cm or 9×9 inch should do.
- You can of course play with your own spices when/if you have an idea as to how to combine them with the body of the recipe.
- You can pair this recipe with rice and/or a green salad.
- A few words about the health benefits of sesame, here.