Shiitake no Dashi
The Shiitake Mushroom Stock is used as a vegetable stock in other Japanese recipes. Unlike other vegetable stocks, this one requires neither simmering, nor boiling (Yes, it is possible.) Enjoy!
Yield: 4 cups
Cooking time: +3 hrs
You need: a bowl
- 15 to 20 dried shiitake mushrooms,
- 4 cups of water.
- Take a bowl and add 4 cups of cold water.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms into the bowl and leave them soaking for at least 3 hrs.
- The water in the bowl will become brown – from light brown to dark brown. This is the stock. 🙂
Notes on Shiitake Mushroom Stock
- If you don’t intend to use the stock in the same day, cover the bowl and put it in the fridge. It will last for approx. 2 weeks.
- When you take it out of the fridge either allow the stock to gradually adjust to room temperature before heating it up for further use.