Another hearty and healthy classic potato salad recipe from the European South. Omitting wine makes it Halal and also Lenten. Can be had as a main dish, or as a side dish – your choice. Enjoy!
Cooking time: 45 min
You need: a pot, two bowls and a strainer
- 1 Kg (2 Lbs) potatoes.
- 2 onions, cut in rounds.
- 2 green onions, diced.
- 20 black olives.
- 1/2 cup dill pickles, diced.
- 2 Tbsp capers.
- 1 clove of garlic, diced.
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar.
- 1 Tsp mustard.
- 4 Tbsp parsley, diced.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: 1/2 cup of white wine.
- Peel and wash the potatoes and then cut them to cubes.
- Take a pot and add water and salt.
- Add the potatoes in the pot, put the pot on the stove, put the lid on the pot, and turn on the fire to high.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then lower the fire to medium, until they are soft. It generally takes about 20 minutes.
While the potatoes are boiling, it’s time to make the dressing.
- Take a bowl and add the onions, the garlic and the parsley. Mix them well.
- Take another little bowl and add the olive oil, the apple cider vinegar and the mustard. Mix them well.
- Combine the two bowls.
- When the potatoes are done, empty the (potato) pot in a strainer.
- Empty the strainer in a bowl.
- While the potatoes are still warm add the dressing (and the wine, if you’re using any) to the bowl and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper and let the mixture sit for a few minutes, to absorb the fragrances.
- Garnish with the olives, the dill pickles and the capers.
Notes on Potato Salad with Olive Oil, Capers, Parsley and Pickles
- This potato salad can served hot, warm or in room temperature.
- You could choose to serve on a bed of spinach or arugula. (More greens are better of one’s digestive system than less greens, no? 🙂