It does take a few extra things to do other than simply boiling rice, but, well, the result is… impressive. Rice with Raisins and Almonds can be had as a main dish, or as a side dish – your choice. Enjoy!
Serves: 2 as a main dish and 4 as a side dish
Cooking time: 20 to 30 min
You need: a pot, a baking sheet, a platter
- 1 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (glass) rice
- 2+1⁄2 cups of hot chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup (glass) toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup (glass) toasted golden raisins
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
For the rice
- Put the olive oil in a medium pot.
- Turn the fire on to medium, put the pot on it and preheat the olive oil.
- Add the rice and stir so that olive oil coats the grains.
- Add 2+1⁄2 cups hot chicken broth.
- Increase the fire to high and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the fire to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- Turn of the fire, remove from pot and and set it aside, covered, to cool off – about 20 minutes.
- Before serving, fluff the rice: separate the grains with the tines of a fork.
For the almonds and the raisins
- While the rice is cooking, turn on the oven to 180C/350F to preheat it.
- Take a baking sheet pan and spread an aluminum foil on it.
- Spread the almonds and raisins, arranging so that they keep separate.
- Put the baking sheet pan in the oven, preferably in the centre, and toast for 5 to 7 minutes, shaking occasionally. You want the almonds to turn golden and the raisins to be puffy.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven, empty the contents to a bowl and drizzle in the melted butter, mixing well. See notes.
- Set it aside to cool off.
- Take a platter, empty the rice on it and garnish the top with the almond and raisin mix.
- Regarding raisins and almonds: between step #4 and step #5 instead of using a mixing bowl you can drizzle and mix the butter directly on the raisins and almonds on the baking sheet.
- You may want to transfer the buttered raisins and almonds to a dish lined with a paper towel to absorb some of the excess butter – it’s up to you.
- Unsalted butter works best.
- This recipe can be used as a side dish to the Lebanese Style Cardamom Chicken, or can be had a main dish.