Abzhorka is a classic, traditional Russian dish that can be a starter, a side dish, a salad or a main course. (Fun, eh? 🙂 )
Cooking time: 60 min
You need: two pots and two bowls
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 Kg (1 Lb) sirloin beef
- 2 yellow onions, cut in rings
- 3 pickles, cut into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- @350ml (12 oz) mayonnaise (recipe here)
- 2 Tbsp cider or wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, or 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp water
- Put the carrots in a pot.
- Cover them with water.
- Bring to a boil in medium fire. Let them simmer until they are tender.
- Drain them and cut them in rounds.
- Put the sirloin in a another pot.
- Add water (so that the beef doesn’t get stuck on the bottom of the pot) and salt to your taste.
- Boil over medium fire, until the meat is tender.
- Drain the meat and cut it into thin strips.
- In a bowl, mix the carrots, the sirloin beef, the onions and the pickles. (You may want to slice the pickles into thin stripes. Up to you.)
- In another bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the vinegar, the olive oil or butter, salt, pepper and the 2 Tbsp of water. Stir well.
- Combine the contents of the two bowls – and the food is ready.
Notes on Abzhorka – Sirloin Beef and Potato Salad
- Decide whether you will keep the sirloin broth to use it for something else or discard it altogether.
- If you’re using butter instead of olive oil be sure to melt it first.
- Feel free to use any kind of pickle you wish.
- Abzhorka can be a starter, a side dish, a salad or a main dish. There’s no rule. 🙂
- Recipe for home made mayonnaise, here.