Spaghetti con Carciofi, Limone e Capperi
Artichokes are abundant and much revered in Italy, and elsewhere. This is a classic, mouthwatering spaghetti with artichokes dish from Southern Italy. Enjoy!
Cooking time: approx. 15 to 20 min
You need: a pot, a saucepan and a platter.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 can, about 340g or 12 oz, of quartered artichokes, drained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, and a bit more to garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500g, or 1 Lb. spaghetti (or other pasta that you may have)
- 1/3 cup capers, drained
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, and a bit more to garnish
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the sauce
- Take a large saucepan, add the oil and turn the fire on to medium high.
- Add the garlic, the onion and the chilli flakes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 min – until golden brown.
- Add the wine and the artichokes.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, until the wine is reduced to half.
- Stir in the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Set it aside and cover it to keep it warm.
For the pasta
- Take a large pot, fill it up with 4 to 6 Liters or Quarts of water and salt it generously.
- Turn the fire on to high and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and stir from time to time.
- Cook until al dente – according to the instructions on the pasta box.
- When done, drain the water but reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Add the pasta and the 1/4 cup pasta water to the saucepan with the reserved sauce.
- Turn on the fire to medium high and cook about for 5 minutes more.
- With the fire still on, add the capers, the parsley, the lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Turn off the fire, transfer to a platter and garnish with more cheese and parsley.
- Try to buy real Parmesan cheese, and grate it at home. It does make a difference.