French cooking uses stocks as a base for soups and sauces. This is a generic fish stock (fumet) recipe used in French cooking.
Yield: 1 + 3/4 cups
Cooking time: 30min
You need: a large sauce pan and a sieve
- 1 Kg (2 Lbs) fish trimmings (fish heads, bones, or (fresh or cooked) shellfish leftovers
- 1 onion, diced or thinly sliced
- 6-8 parsley stems (not the leaves)
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1 glass (cup) dry white wine
- Cold water to cover
- Put all the ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and skim.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve.
- Correct the seasoning.
Notes on How To Make Fish Stock
- Fish stock can be refrigerated or put in the deep-freeze.