This one is very interesting. You marinate the goat meat in lemon and orange juice for 12hrs in the fridge. Then you cook it in the oven for approx. 60 minutes. It contains alcohol.
Cooking time: about 60 min
You need: a bowl and an oven pan
Notes: it requires marinading
- 1+1/2 Kg (3 Lbs) goat meat cut in portions.
- 1+1/2 glass (cup) lemon juice
- 1+1/2 glass (cup) orange juice
- 1/2 glass (cup) brandy wine or 1/4 glass (cup) red vinegar
- 6 cloves of garlic, diced
- 150g olive oil
- 2-3 Tsp oregano
- 1 glass (cup) of hot water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the meat into portions.
- Salt and pepper it.
- Put it in a pyrex bowl.
- Add to it the lemon juice, the orange juice, the brandy, the oregano and the garlic.
- Cover the bowl in leave it in the fridge for 12hrs.
- Then, empty the contents of the bowl into an oven pan.
- Add the olive oil and the hot water in the pan.
- Cook in medium oven (about 180C/350F) for about 60 min.
- Depending on your oven, if you see that the liquid evaporates too fast then add some hot water in the pan so that there’s always gravy.
Suggested side dishes
- 500gr of flat square pasta. (See Notes, below.)
- 200g grated of hard cheese for the pasta.
- Cook the pasta in a separate pot and drizzle it with the cheese.
Boiled and Broiled Potatoes
- Click here for the recipe.
Notes on Goat in Fruit Juice in the Oven
- Goat meat is very lean and also sinewy (because it’s very lean). The purpose of marinading it for 12hrs in acid (i.e.brandy, lemon and orange juice) is to break down the fiber before you put it in the oven.
- Preparing deep frozen goat meat (if that’s the case) has a few tricks. Click here for more.
- You could potentially substitute brandy wine with red vinegar. If that’s the case then all you need is not more than a 1/4 of glass (cup) vinegar. If that’s your choice then bear in mind that vinegar is corrosive; it will stain the metal and it will leach the plastic. Do prefer a glass or pyrex bowl instead.
- Regarding the appropriate kind of pasta for this recipe: the Greeks use a kind of pasta called CHYLOPITTES. It usually comes in square form and it contains eggs and milk. The closest Italian equivalent is QUADRATTI or QUADRETTINI and they contain neither eggs, nor milk. You could also use Orzo – there’s no hard rule.